Wood Drying

Mike Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:28:12 -0600

Terry,

Your most immediate danger is too rapid drying through the end grain.  THe
dimensioinal change from differential drying through the end can create
checking that will make large sections of wood unusable.  Don't waste a
second getting some form of moisture-impervious sealant into the end of
every piece.  Melted parafin wax works best, IMHO.  I've been told that
aluminum paint (oil based enamel) will work, but never tried it.  Various
woodworker supply houses may have their own formulas for sale.

good luck

Mike Spalding RPT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 8:43 AM
Subject: Wood Drying

> I received a shipment of Sitka Spruce yesterday for soundboard panel and
rib construction. The guy I bought it from thought (guessed) that the
moisture content (MC) might be in the 15% to 20% range, as the tree had been
cut last spring (it has sat for 10 months, but in the whole-log form). I
dried a couple samples last night of what appeared to be some of the drier
wood from the bunch. It toasted out at 40%+ MC. When you cut it, you can
easily see that it is just shy of having water ooze out of it!   :-(

> So, I need to dry some lumber. I've never done that. Obviously, I wish to
minimize cupping, warping, twisting, splitting, etc. I would like to cut it
into half-inch thicknesses for more rapid drying. But my concerns are what
is going to be the consequence of going that thin - or is there good reason
to go thicker (drying time increases exponentially). Then of course I need
to figure optimal - or at least acceptable - drying environment -
temperature, relative humidity, air movement, etc.

> I thought maybe I would be building a soundboard this week, but instead I
find myself sitting here blowing on this stuff to help it
dry..............oh shoot, my breath has high humidity, doesn't it?