HT Tests

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:31:14 +0100

Two more students to report on

Pretty much the same thing. They dont really notice anything and it
seems evident that it is really quite a simple matter of not knowing
what to listen for. In 5 cases now a 15 minute chat with them seems to
raise their curiousity enough to go back and try and figure out whats
different.  And in each case a bit later ( in a couple cases a couple
days later) I am asked rather tentatively if it has anything to do with
the tuning. One fellow was on the ball enough to ask if C major was more
"clean" then some other keys.

What seems evident is that with very little training these students
would be able to recognize such basic tuning differences quite easily,
and I suspect that most of them good become quite clever at discerning
temperament variations if they decided to
thoroughly set themselves to the task. I suppose actually it could be
quite possible to make them quite ET aware for that matter.... that is
to say equipe them with the aural skills necessarry to pick an ET tuning
apart. Though that would be quite dependant on their own committment to
such an endeavour.

As far as choosing between the two grands in the professors room. The
professor in question has been sick so I havent been able to get his
opinion. But one student was put to the test today, and her immediate
reaction was decidedly positive, tho this was based on just a few
seconds play on the instrument with the Well Temperament tuning. She
said right of that it sounded much better then it had sounded in the
past. I told her to play around with it, do a few peices on both pianos
and compare and try and put a finger on whatever differences she could
identify. Her curiosity peaked immediatly and she moved her practice
session into the room. I will probably run into her tommorrow.

If nothing else this exercise definatly shows that the students are
enthusasitic about the possibility of something new and different to
check out. How far that "novelty effect" will take them remains to be
seen.

In any case I am enjoying the process.

Cheers
RicB