Bridge design

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:56:23 -0600

>I notice on Steinway bridges (as well as some others) that the lower part
>of the bridge root narrows in the treble section of the piano.   What is
>the design purpose of that and does it serve its purpose?
>
>David Love

It's to get the "footprint", or attach point of the bridge to the
soundboard panel away from the rim as far as is practically possible. Yes,
it's a good idea since a bridge sitting on the rim doesn't move the
soundboard all that well. It would be nice to be able to get it even
further from the rim, but there is a practical limit in a grand determined
by hammer clearance of the belly rail, and the upper limit of the speaking
length of C-8.

Ron N