looks

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:56:22 -0700

   << This may be controversial but I think looks play more of a part in =
selling a piano than sound.>>

    Not controversial at all.  People buy houses, cars, and many other =
things where looks don't have anything to do with how well the thing =
functions (same with spouses), but looks still figure into their final =
purchase decision.  I remember a technician 25 years ago complaining =
that the Japanese pianos were "too glamorous"  -- bright gold plate, =
lots of bright red felt, glinting steel (not blued) tuning pins, =
polished "mirror"  finish, bright brass casters, etc. -- and now the =
Korean and Chinese pianos have followed suit.  But they sell, sometimes =
even with godawful tone.   -- David Nereson, RPT