more bridge design

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:18:18 -0600

David,

At 02:42 3/26/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>     Now here the violin bridge analogy may come in again -- i.e., the
> bridge is not a solid block of wood, but has as many "holes", or open
> spaces in it as possible.
>     Does anybody know which large grand it is that has the holey bass
> bridge and what the reason for the holes is?    --David Nereson, RPT, Denver

Mehlin grands have up to a 6" high bass bridge, and the arrangement of
holes looks more like a Roman aqueduct. Mass reduction is definitely a
reason for the configuration.

Estey advertized a "violin bridge".  I don't recall the bass bridge
profile, but the treble cross section resembled an hourglass.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan White