Bridge design (Herz Piano)

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:46:34 +1100

>Hmmmm.... Here is an obvious advantage to that Herz design from 1844 then I
>guess. With the strings between the inverted soundboard and the action, you
>would probably would have less of a problem designing in adequate distance
>from both rim and belly rail.
>

>Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>>  It's to get the "footprint", or attach point of the bridge to the
>>  soundboard panel away from the rim as far as is practically possible. Yes,
>>  it's a good idea since a bridge sitting on the rim doesn't move the
>>  soundboard all that well. It would be nice to be able to get it even
>>  further from the rim, but there is a practical limit in a grand determined
>>  by hammer clearance of the belly rail, and the upper limit of the speaking
>>  length of C-8.
>>
>  > Ron N

Indeed, but like most things Richard, there are limits as to what is
necessary. Samuel Wolfenden experimented with upright piano designs
which he built with the belly extending right up behind the pin block
for the same idea. Apparently, he felt that there was virtually no
noticeable improvement.

But I do concur with Ron N's post. Even today, after three hundred
years of piano development, there are many manufacturers who insist
on designing instruments with the bridge positioned directly over the
belly rail. I wonder why there's little in the way of tone. A very
new Australian concert grand maker has done himself proud in this
respect.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY