Caster Disasters

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:48:22 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of tune4u@earthlink.net
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 12:55 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Caster Disasters

I've got several Hamilton studios with broken or missing casters to fix.
In
some cases the toe is split.

Would appreciate comments on best repairs. My instinct is to tilt the
sucker, slather in a semi thick epoxy, clamp if toe is cracked, shove in
the
sleeve, let set, redrill screw holes, dab a little epoxy on the screws
and
insert.

Whatayathink? Thanks in advance.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

Alan,
	I use the schaff or jansen  twin dollies. Tilt the piano,screw
them to the bottom set it back up and lag them into the back where
possible.
	I've installed at least 15 of these and they hold up for years.
	The problem arises when the piano is rolled over bumps and
thresholds. Those orig. casters and sockets can't take it and fail as
you have described.
	I have custodians building statues to me in gratitude !
	Tom Driscoll