String breakage

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:43:58 -0600

You might increase let-off some (about an inch should do it :-). Are the
hammers well shaped and the strike points correct?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Wesley Hardman
  Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 6:28 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: String breakage

  String breakage is a rather frequent occurrence in a baby grand piano that
I service for a church.  I have replaced several strings in the treble
section of the fairly new piano in the last few months.  The pianist admits
to playing the instrument too hard and that the strings break while he is
playing.

  What can I do to decrease the likelihood of string breakage in that piano?

  Wesley Hardman, Associate Member PTG
  Scottsboro, Alabama