Soundboard Panel Grain Angles

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:11:15 -0600

>Anyone else done much monitoring of what other manufacturers do?

Not a lot, but I do look occasionally. I see plenty of plank ends below 45°.

>Anyone want to offer any wisdom on what the benefits of keeping grain
>angles no lower than some certain amount are?

Dimensional stability, I'd say. Expansion rates along annular rings is
greater than across them. Looking at old boards, more severe and creative
splits show up where divergent grain directions meet at a glue joint.

>Is it primarily a structural crushing strength consideration? Anyone aware
>of any research that puts some numbers to anything like that?

I haven't found anything indicating a difference in compression resistance
along or across annular rings. My in-shop deflection tests indicate no
meaningful difference in at least short term static load deflection between
quarter and flat sawn stock. I'd assume the difference to be minimal, or it
would be at least mentioned in the reference material.

>Please don't tell me it is a conduit for the circle of sound thing!

Ok, have it your way, but I don't want to hear any griping if you find out
different the hard way..

>Glad I always have fun things to do in my shop!   :-)
>
>Terry Farrell

Like desiccating!

Ron N