Bridge design

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:48:42 -0600

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 09:28 PM, Barbara J. Fandrich wrote:
>> Del wrote:
>>> Typically we undercut a new treble bridge along the leading edge. This
>>> undercut extends back as far as a perpendicular line drawn straight
>>> down
>>> from the leading rows of bridge pins.

I just looked at the tenor/treble bridge in a 1912 Knabe Mignon (about
5' 8") I have, and this undercut you're referencing does this:

It's undercut to the first strut (E6-Eb6) where it straightens out
momentarily, then begins again after that strut and continues to F#5-G5,
where it begins again, *but* on the opposite side throughout the rest of
the bridge to Bb2.

Pretty interesting.

Keith McGavern