Bridge design (Herz Piano)

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:19:10 +0100

"Barbara J. Fandrich" wrote:

> > Hmmmm.... Here is an obvious advantage to that Herz design from 1844 then I
> > guess. With the strings between the inverted soundboard and the action, you
> > would probably would have less of a problem designing in adequate distance
> > from both rim and belly rail.
> >

> You're right. Did Mr Herz take advantage of this?

Dont know, but I will have a gander. I am to go out and talk to the fellow again
soon.

On the side of this, it seems like we have found a sister to this piano. A
museum in Milano seems to have one of these, and it may provide us some insight
as to how many of these were actually made. Not many I think.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.