Bass Dampers/Sustain Pedal Problem

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:57:12 -0500

Hello List.
Tuned a Keller Bros upright, 1917, which hadn't been tuned in 15
years.  A2 through A5, 85 cents flat, A6 135 cents flat. Pitch raise
and fine tuning in 3 very slow passes, no rust and no broken strings,
pins set fine, no jumpy pins.
	PROBLEM - dampers from the tenor/bass break, down to A0, would lift
in a long diagonal sweep, from the break - only a little, down to A0 -
 nothing.  Dampers from the break up through tenor and treble lifted
together from the strings with no problems.
	I did tune the strings by holding the dampers away from the strings,
striking the key, moving the pins. I explained the problem and
demonstrated it to the owner so that they did understand why there
was no sustain in the bass and the played notes sounded with a
"thud".
	Will return to the piano as soon as I have some clue as to what to
look for and correct. Teen age piano student that does practice every
day, but she says seldom "gets down there".
	Having never come upon this problem and not finding any example of
it in trouble shooting sections of my library, I need some direction
on the possible cause.
	I have searched the archives, have read back through hundreds of
filed posts that I have on damper and pedal problems and find nothing
on this problem.
	Advance thanks to any help.

Gordon Holley
Goshen, IN