Bridge design

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:10:11 -0500

Del wrote:
> This theory also explains why
> so many builders were reluctant to put a dog-leg into the bridge at
> plate/scale breaks to maintain good scaling. They were not just being cheap
> or negligent.

Ahhhhhhhh. I have a 5' 10" 1900 Bechstein awaiting rebuilding and the long bridge has absolutely NO HINT of a dogleg at any of the breaks. The curve is perfectly consistent. I had noticed that a long time ago and felt surprised that a manufacturer like Bechstein would be so cheap as to not go the distance of putting on a proper dogleg. Now I know that being cheap is not likely the answer. Thanks.

Terry Farrell