hockeystick/curved/separate_tenor vs straight bridge? (was Re: Bridge design)

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:59:10 -0800

speaking of dogleg at treble break, I noticed my upright
http://pianoplayer.hey.nu/pianopics/Ricca-Inside-Big.jpg has the dogleg
at the break.  (It's kinda hard to see it through the action which btw is
badly in need of regulation as you can probably see, but you should be
able to see it.)  It's between notes c#5 and d5.  I wonder if that's why
D5 is always slipping out of tune...

ok.. now about the tenor end of a treble bridge...  what are your
thoughts on different bridge designs?  for example, what would you like
or dislike about having a hockeystick
http://pianoplayer.hey.nu/chickeringpianos/Chickering-67BB-sn94850-1901-52h65w28d-insidebottom.jpg
bridge, (in the case of that piano by looking at other pics, I can tell
it has 6 wound trichord unisons in the tenor, but it's hard if not
impossible to tell in that pic) a curved tenor section (no pic for this
one), or a separate tenor bridge which
http://pianoplayer.hey.nu/knabepianos/Knabe-upright-sn53193-1903-inside2.jpg
has, or design the plate so you move the break up a few notes, and run
plain wire all the way to the break with a straight bridge, like my piano
is (ok.. I noticed it has a little bit of a curve)?  Also, what would you
like or dislike about putting wound strings in the tenor as opposed to
plain wire all the way to the break (assuming the piano is otherwise well
scaled?)  Personally, I don't like wound strings above a2 or a#2, so for
pretty much most large uprights, I would prefer a piano with plain wire
all the way to the break.  (On the other hand, if it had something like a
20-note bass, I could put up with a few wound string unisons in the tenor
section, if it was scaled and voiced well.)

What are some well-scaled larger verticals that you all have seen?  Also,
anyone know of any good vertical scales with plain wire (preferably
trichords) going down to a#2 or b2 (besides the Steinway K)?  I
personally, unless it's a small piano (under 48"), don't like to have
wound strings above a2 or a#2.  Pretty much all pianos I've played that
had them (wound strings up to, say, d3 or higher, or even just b2, c3, or
c#3) didn't sound the way I wanted them to, and pianos that had plain
wire down to an octave or a little more below middle C sounded better to
my ear (with the exception of my sister's 52" Hallet & Davis upright with
plain trichords down to b2, which has badly worn hammers and desperately
needs new ones and has the curved bridge section.  Comparing a Yamaha A1
to a Young Chang 150 (both are pretty much the same size baby grand), I
would have to say I like the tenor sound of the Yamaha better than the
Young Chang.
--
  Stephen Airy
  stephenairy@fastmail.fm