sticking hammers

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:24:04 +0000

Well..... Start by seeing if you can make it happen out of the piano.  You
didn't say if they stuck or not before you tapped the pins.  Looking for
sticking with the key next to the one effected. (While it's stuck move the
next key over to shift the hammer slightly and see if that makes any
difference.) It could be that the hammers were a little loose on the rail
and just got bumped a little and are rubbing. Just start eliminating options
until you find the cause.

Ron Koval

I was working on a Knabe baby grand today and ran into some trouble.  I
removed the action and tapped in some loose tuning pins (supported by a
pinblock jack).  After I replaced the action, the hammers of E 2 through
G2 became stuck after they would strike the strings.  The key wasn't
sluggish at all, but I was able to get them to fall by pushing them with
a rubber mute.  I continued to work the keys, but their hammers kept
hanging up.  I will be working on this piano again tomorrow.

I am still new in the business (a Randy Potter student) and I can't find
any answers in Randy's materials or in the Reblitz book.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Don Palmire