Falsies

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:46:42 -0500

>At 10:25 PM -0600 3/28/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>Is there any truth to the old belief that bringing pitch up in small stages,
>>over time, helps to prevent false beats?
>
>Never heard that one. I can't think of any possible reason that
>would be the case. Pull up to pitch all the way the first time, or
>not at all - ever.

Maybe what is being worried about is the sudden increase in pressure
on the bridge pin, from the side draft at the new pitch. Who knows
how to calculate the pressure a string at pitch exerts on a bridge
pin, and what change ins pressure the bridge pin would feel when the
speaking length pitch as changed 100-150¢. (It might even be
negligible.)

It's a great sales pitch though, a sure calender-filler.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the restringing, but is
best done before the plate is re-installed"
     ...........recent shop journal entry