"...strings come to about 1/8' to 1/4" away...."

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:50:25 -0800

There seems to be a great deal of wrong information regarding how close the
termination of the winding needs to come to the termination point of string!
That factor is relevant to the calculations of inharmonicity and the
requirements therein. Therefore, DO YOUR OWN scale evaluations, on EVERY
piano!  FWIW, I would never want a winding to come any closer than 1/4".
Elongation over a period of years, will cause the winding to end up IN the
aggraffe, DAMHIK!!!!
Scale evaluation will at least give the information that you need to make
YOUR educated decisions about the entire rebuilding process. Otherwise, IMO,
you are shooting at farts. (oops! No malice intended there.)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)