client info on the pocket pc

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:50:13 -0600

I just did a pretty thorough research on just this problem. For some bizarre
reason, even non-piano-specific organizers like Lotus, Time & Chaos, etc.,
do not operate on the Pocket PC platform and I could find no one who makes
an organizer that does. In fact, I was told that it can't be done due to the
integration of Outlook PC & the Pocket operating system. (???)

You can buy various database programs that let you create lists and files on
the handheld, but that is only going to be fun for real computer nerds and
NOT solve the problem. What all the desktop applications do, if anything, is
provide a sync capability with the OUTLOOK PC program on the handheld,
either as an integral part of their program or as a "plug-in."

Here's what I settled on and bought: Time & Chaos (quite nifty) on the
desktop and their Pocket PC Sync plug-in to work with Outlook on the Pocket
PC. I like it okay and it beats the #*%& out of using Outlook on the
desktop, too. It also has the added advantage of costing under a whole
cartload less than the piano-specific managers. This combination works very
well, once you get it all set up and understand how the two are working
together. See WARNING below.

But since you've already invested mucho $ for PTBiz and spent a lot of time
inputting all of your data, I imagine you'd like something for the Pocket PC
that syncs with what you have.

Sorry, it apparently does not exist, .  I think it is incumbent on the PTBiz
people (and other similar product makers) to develop a parallel program for
the Pocket PC platform or, if that is truly not possible because of the
quirky and proprietary nature of the Pocket PC operating system (THANKS,
Bill), then at least a sync to Outlook PC.

Sorry the news isn't better. If you find I'm all wet and/or have missed
something, please let me know before I invest a lifetime entering my data in
Time & Chaos!

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

WARNING, WARNING, MR. SMITH, WARNING: If anyone goes the Time & Chaos route
as I did, be d***ed sure to turn off all sync options in ActiveSync so that
you are NOT, NOT, NOT syncing with Outlook on the desktop. You have to leave
ActiveSync running to make the connection between the two platforms, but
just allow the T&C Pocket PC Sync program to do all the actually
coordination of data between T&C (desktop) and Outlook (on the Pocket PC).
You will lose data, get duplications, and screw up everything if you ignore
this caveat. (Guess how I found out!) The only exception is if you want your
email to download to the Pocket--but I won't even risk that anymore since
the email and contacts databases are so closely linked.