Jack stop rail (was Re: Strange action configuration in Sejung)

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:22:50 -0600

On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 09:15 PM, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/30/03 6:45:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
> joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:
>

> Could someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of Jack Stop=20
> Rails...
>
> Joe,
>
> I think this is what I needed to hear. =A0At the very least, it seems=20=

> that I can move it drastically with impunity.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Stahl

It actually does serve a purpose:

 =46rom the RMMP newsgroup 1998:

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:38:47 +0000
From: Keith McGavern <kam544@ionet.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.piano
Subject: Re: buyer beware

Gary wrote:

 > Secondly, the repetition rail is located above the set-off rail and =
is
 > connected to the action chassis by reverse thread rods to allow =
inward=20
or
 > outward adjustment.  The purpose of this rail is to prevent the jacks
 > (hoppers) from traveling too far and thus not returning in time to =
lift
 > the hammer for its next strike...

I've never heard it called that before, Gary, but from your explanation,
I can understand why you do.  In the part of the world where I live,
it's usually called a jack stop rail*.

Not all vertical pianos have this separate rail either.  On some the
regulating rail/let-off rail/jack rail/set-off rail/jack stop rail are
one rail*. On some the catcher/back stop* acts as the jack stopping
device.

*_Piano Parts and Their Functions_ by Merle Mason

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731