Floating soundboard at top

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:55:17 -0800 (GMT)

I currently have a small Bechstein grand in the shop.  Along the right edge (the straight edge perpendicular to the bridge line at the top end) there is a rib glued to the underside of the board but the rib and board are not attached to the rim along this edge.  This would seem to be at odds with the idea that things should be stiff up at the top end.  The sound quality at the top is not superb, but not bad either.

With the talk of undercut bridges at the top end and keeping the bridge off the liner or bellyrail, I got to wondering if anyone had tried floating the soundboard along the right end of the front edge (where the bridge would run on to the liner if it was not undercut).

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 130