Keytop Trimming Question/Dave Smith

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:28:48 -0400

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Aren't you guys suggesting building up the key sides presuming that the
> replacement keytops are the width and shape the keys are supposed to be,
> or once were? That's not often the case in actual pianos. There's lots
> of variation among key sets, and if the key appears undamaged, the new
> keytop should be trimmed neatly flush with the key sides, with top edges
> rounded over to suit.

You can get a good idea of how wide the naturals are by measuring the
whole keyboard in millimeters. Subtract 76.5 from this measurement - the
1.5 X 51. A nice looking gap between naturals is 1.5mm. Divide this
number by 52 and you have the width of each head.

Use this measurement as a guide for building out the sides with pine
veneer. I would buy key tops that are close to this dimension and plan
on removing just a little from the new key tops in the head area. The
tails between sharps don't need to be perfectly flush with the wood.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979