Refinishing - Stripping & Stain Uneveness

Bigeartb@aol.com Bigeartb@aol.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:58:33 EDT

Gordon;
     Don't know about the bleaching. Only tried it once and the entire grand
top looked like it had a good case of the 'chicken pox'. I always sand to a
uniform color. I guess I really haven't appreciated how good I really must be
because I've never sanded through a veneer in over 30 years and thousands of
pieces of sand paper. I'm not real sure about the 'professionals' always
bleaching. I've been a professional refinisher and only bleached once and
never will try it again. One must always sand to remove all the scratches,
dings, dents and improfections in the wood. Of course I use all the tricks
with water and heat to swell the deep dents in order to sand smoothly.
     Well, I ain't changing but the new guys need to check out all our
information before plowing into a big refinishing project. Those who want to
bleach, just go ahead. I'll just stick to my sanding. In fact I'm sanding an
entire grand tomorrow....120 then 220 3-M wet or dry....Fixing to make a lot
of money cause it looks real pretty and looks beautiful even after 30 years
of use!!!! Therefore, I can't afford to take a chance and change anything.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.