OT -- Way, WAY Off Topic!

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 09:45:48 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: tune4u@earthlink.net=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 7:34 AM
  Subject: RE: OT -- Way, WAY Off Topic!

  Hey. The necessity for light-weight, less-power-hungry, and more =
dependable electronics for space vehicles was the impetus for =
development of integrated circuits and the microminiaturization that has =
made all our computers and consumer electronic wonders possible.

Oh, don't get me started! The benefits to our country and our society =
that came out of the mad drive to put man on the moon have so far =
outweighed their cost that, if we've learned nothing else from the =
experience, we should have learned the value of funding such outlandish =
ventures just for their side effects. Consider what would happen if we, =
as a nation, decided we really wanted to be free of oil imports and an =
oil-based economy in ten years. Or, how about establishing a robot =
community on Mars in ten years? Doesn't have the pizaz of "One small =
step...," but still....

  So. Could they do the same for the piano? A new space-age plate =
material (pre-stressed Microfibrolated Aluminum Dioxide impregnated =
polycarbonate resin might work) that only weighs 7 ounces, high tension =
boron-fiber strings, action parts made of hyper-spherical porated =
polyacrylics, wool from really skinny sheep, that sort of thing ... get =
the whole piano weight down to, say, 2 lbs. Let's get working on it!
I'll begin work on the project just as soon as your check arrives in the =
mail. Well, actually, just as soon as it clears the bank. Such projects =
always come down to who is willing to fund the research and for what =
gain. Iron is cheap, easy to cast and machine, strong enough for the =
requirements and, let's not forget, eminately recyclable. Once we get =
into all those polycarbonates and polyacrylics I'm not so sure.

Del