OT -- Way, WAY Off Topic!

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:23:05 -0500

Actually, I do have the prototype built already. But since the materials I
mentioned--and half the words I used--don't exist, I have had to use
concrete and superglue for most parts, but I used none of that heavy metal
and no wood, either. So far, I have the weight down to 1,875 lbs. 3 oz., not
including the bench. Still looking for really skinny sheep to get
lightweight felt. (Oh, that's baaaaad!).

Back to work.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Greg Newell
  Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 1:44 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: RE: OT -- Way, WAY Off Topic!

  Alan,
          Alright, you first!   All kidding aside that kind of thinking is
what this industry needs more of for sure!!

  Greg Newell

  At 10:34 AM 5/1/2003, you wrote:

    God hates mobile homes, that much is obvious.

    Our space research stuff is amazing, isn't it? It's all the more
impressive if you ponder the incredible distances involved and how narrow
the angles are to put something on the right course--the tiniest error and,
whoosh, your mars shot is headed for deep space.

    Hey. The necessity for light-weight, less-power-hungry, and more
dependable electronics for space vehicles was the impetus for development of
integrated circuits and the microminiaturization that has made all our
computers and consumer electronic wonders possible.

    So. Could they do the same for the piano? A new space-age plate material
(pre-stressed Microfibrolated Aluminum Dioxide impregnated polycarbonate
resin might work) that only weighs 7 ounces, high tension boron-fiber
strings, action parts made of hyper-spherical porated polyacrylics, wool
from really skinny sheep, that sort of thing ... get the whole piano weight
down to, say, 2 lbs. Let's get working on it!

    Alan Barnard
    Salem, MO