keyframe bedding

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 18:36:22 -0700 (PDT)

John Hartman wrote;>Bob,

>The proper process is to first bed the back rail with the dags. Then
>the
>front rail and finally the balance rail. Looks like you're having
>problems with the front rail. Go back and and unscrew the balance rail
>glides (till they don't touch the keybed). Then re-set the front rail.
>Often, because the pins wear out, the keyblocks need to push the
>keyframe pins down harder. If there is a cardboard shim under the block
>see if removing this gets the end of the front rail to seat. If this is
>not enough try shimming the guide pin plates (from above with a slip of
>veneer) to get more pressure. Sometimes installing a new pin or turning
>the pin to a new face can help. Check to see if the pin is tight in the
>front rail. A loose pin can cause a lot of problems.

>After you fix the front rail go back and readjust the balances rail.

>Let me know if this help. There is a lot to doing this a short e-mail
>cant do it justice.

>John Hartman RPT
Thanks for the advice.  Finished the regulation today.  The solution to getting the keyframe to bed was to take off the shim that was on the front of the bass cheek block and to put a thinner one it its place.  This gave the right amount of downward pressure.  It did make the una corda pedal a little stiffer, especially if you tighten the cheek block screw too much.  Bob Hull, RPT