Key Leads and Inertia

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 2 May 2003 09:06:59 -0400

Hi Richard,

The moment of inertia, I, is:

I = mr^2,

where

m = mass
r = radius from axis of rotation

I is additive, so if there are two masses, it's the sum.  If you have a
solid object, rather than point masses, you just have to calculate the
integral.  For a key stick (assuming it is a uniform stick, which it is
not), the following might come close:

I = [ m (f^3 + b^3) ] / [ 3 ( f + b) ],

where

f = the length from the fulcrum to the front of the stick, and
b= the length from the fulcrum to the back of the stick
m = mass of the entire unweighted stick, with capstan removed.

You can add in inertia from lead weights and the capstan, however
appropriate.

In reality, it's a lot more complicated.  The stick is not uniformly shaped
and has stuff stuck on it like buttons, and keytops.  The general equation
for a uniform stick rotating about its end (used to derive the above) would
be:

I = 1/12 mL^2,

where L = the length of the stick.

Anyway, it depends on the keystick.  You'll have to measure, weigh, and
calculate for yourself.

Peace,
Sarah