Piano Rim Theory

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 13:23:32 -0400

My general understanding is that a good piano will have a relatively massive solid rim. Such a rim will help to minimize energy loss from the vibrating soundboard and help to promote good tone and sustain.

Steinways and Mason & Hamlins have relatively nice heavy rims and are often very nice pianos (or can be). I have a 1902 Knabe in my shop with a laminated ash rim that likely has a larger cross section than a Steinway D. But I also have a 1900 Bechstein that has a rim not much thicker than an Aeolian microgrand from the 1930s.

Bechsteins, from a music perspective, are generally well respected pianos. What kind of piano belly theory can shed some light on why one piano will be a great piano because it has this massive rim, and another piano will be outstanding with this aircraft-weight spruce rim (actually, I don't know what kind of wood the inner rim is made of). I think the Bosendorfer has similar construction as the Bechstein (maybe other European pianos?).

This was last night's source of insomnia. Doctor, doctor, it hurts! Can anyone help?

Terry Farrell