Key Leads and Inertia

Fri, 2 May 2003 23:25:58 -0700

Thanks John.  The pictures are very descriptive.  Perhaps I should have
asked the first question first.  How does excessive flex manifest itself as
a problem.  For example, does it limit the upper end of power or is the
problem literally the delay in response when the key is accelerated too
quickly, lack of control, all of the above or something else?  If one were
hiring someone to make new keys for a piano, let's say a small company in
Oregon, what would you specify in terms of either the type of wood used,
thickness, reinforcement or anything else to get the type of performance
you want?  On the flip side, is there any problem with having a key that
has insufficient flex?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net