[Refinish] Re: A B Chase Upright

Sat, 3 May 2003 21:50:59 -0400

Hi Terry -

The only work I've done on the 1893 A.B. Chase upright I own is to
replace the hammers (heads only) and dampers, and that was app. 20 years
ago.  Replacing action parts in this piano would be a step down in
quality.  It is one of those rare beauties that has such a lovely
presence as is that I have not only felt no need to do any
'remanufacturing', I am not certain I would like the change in character.
 Despite all logic, there are a few examples of well-made pianos that age
rather gracefully, and this is certainly one of them.  An exception to
the rule, to be sure, which is exactly why I chose to make it my personal
piano.

As to the refinish question... yes, I did refinish it - 20 years ago.  It
was covered in orange paint, which had been applied over 4 other equally
obnoxious colors.  The case is extremely ornate, as is somewhat typical
of 1893, and as such represented a rather ornery refinishing task.  This
was before I was spraying finishes, and I used a penetrating oil finish
(Watco).  The finish has held up amazingly well, although it is true it
has been treated rather kindly.

To address the other part of your question, my pricing on refinishing
uprights varies considerably.  Some cases are rather plain, with little
or no veneer damage, while others can be very ornate, and require a fair
amount of veneer replacement, etc...  That being said, I would say the
range is $2500 - $4,000 for 95% of all upright jobs.  Most fall between
$3,000 - $3500.  There ARE exceptions, of course....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com