A B Chase Upright

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 3 May 2003 23:01:50 -0500

You might give Ken Caulkins at Ragtime West a call. He does beautiful things
with high-quality old uprights so I assume he buys them OR he will sell you
kits to convert it to a gorgeous player or an orchestrion. Check it out at
www.ragtimewest.com

I had a 1904 Crown that was like that (when Geo. P. Bent was making them,
NOT the later Winter Co. Crowns). Incredible quality and attention to
detail. The maker had even beautify carved their name on the top frame on
the back of the piano in letters about 3 1/2" tall with a carved (routed)
border. They used a lathe to cut very handsome handles. And but a beautiful
natural finish on all the wood. Heck, the back of that piano looked better
then the front of most pianos! Those were the 4-pedal pianos, #4 was for
hammer-blocking practice mechanism. And that thing had the biggest, heaviest
harp I've seen--and timber framing to match. It almost fell on me when I was
taking it off the truck: I'd a been a goner, for sure! Anyway, it was a
beauty.

Unfortunately, it had lived in a garage for a couple of decades and the
soundboard was really cracked up and the pin block was shot and the action
parts were brittle and some of the carved wooden moldings were missing
chunks and I was lazy and it was taking up a lot of room so I burned it. It
made a glorious bonfire and the scouts enjoyed it, but I now wish I hadn't.
I almost feel guilt.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO