New keyboard design (was Re: Key Leads and Inertia)

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 4 May 2003 06:09:06 -0700 (PDT)

As per my suggestion below: the hinged, swivelable (?)
plate that would serve as the fulcrum could have
punchings placed under it, with the bolt that holds
the plate down ( against the extruded metal balance
rail ) going through the punching hole. Or punchings
could be wedged under the front of the plate as shims.
So much for the balance rail.
     But the back rail would still compress, causing
keyfront uneveness, so some adjusting capstans with
very wide heads hanging below could be put through the
keys' back ends, adjustable from holes in their stems
up top.
     Thump

--- David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net> wrote:

---------------------------------
I think there woud be a noise issue.  Any material
that would not be subject to compression over time
would rattle at the balance rail.  David
Lovedavidlovepianos@earthlink.net  ----- Original
Message ----- From: Bob Hull To: PianotechSent:
5/3/2003 8:42:48 PM Subject: Re: New keyboard design
(was Re: Key Leads and Inertia)
Thinking about wooden piano parts such as keys and
their inconsistencies as well as balance rails which
together create a situation in which we have to
compensate by shimming with punchings in order to
create the same key height for each key...  Couldn't a
composite material be made that was machined or molded
within strict tolerances so as to eliminate the need
for leveling keys with punchings?   What about the
type of graphite composites that are used in tennis
rackets?  If this material was not affected by
humidity and was very resisitant to wear, then used
for the balance rail and the keys would that eliminate
our key leveling requirements?  Are any paper
punchings required on electronic keyboards to level
their keys?   However, the key must not feel cheap
like an electronic keyboard.   Other parts are being
successfully made from alternative materials.   We
have to shim these instruments that may cost up to
$80,000 or so with little pieces of paper?  How high
tech can we get?  Bob Hull

Phillip Ford <fordpiano@earthlink.net> wrote:> At
05:51 PM 5/1/03 , you wrote:
>Frankly, I think that some extrudeed, lightweight
>aluminum key, basically a shell buttressed with
>reinforcement along stress lines to stiffen it, would
>be FAR better than the 16th Century technology we are
>dealing with! And it should be hinged on a lateral
>pin ( at the bottom, on a pivotable plate ) to
>eliminate all "wobble". And weights ( not poisonous
>leads, either! ) could be affixed to the inside with
>bolts and lock washers along an adjustable track for
>exact balance.
> Thump

These all sound like excellent ideas. While you're at
it could you incorporate something into your design so
that I can level the keys without putting paper
punchings under the keys (talk about your 16th century
technology)?

Phil F