Restoring gloss to plastic keytops

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 4 May 2003 16:21:21 -0700 (PDT)

You need to tape some silicone carbide sandpaper to a
piece of plate glass ( an old flat car window-like a
van door rear window- works well ) and then sand the
key by shoving it back and forth lengthwise. Use a
little soapy water or mineral spirits as a lubricant.
And use increasingly finer grits (it goes to 2000
grit) until you have the surface you like. Beyond that
you can put some felt on a rubber sanding block, dip
in automotive polishing compound and polish with
straight strokes lengthwise. You may have to do all
the naturals to make them match, but it will go very
quickly. Personally, I like the feel of "just under"
high gloss when I playa  pioano. Tastes differ.
     This is also a great way to flatten poorly
installed cellulose keytops with melting warps in them
from the glue.
     Thump