Restoring gloss to plastic keytops

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sun, 4 May 2003 23:03:08 -0500

Someone in our local chapter had a great idea to do all quickly.  If you =
have the large buffer.  Take off the keyslip, insert a wood prop under =
all the keys.  This will lift all the whites above the sharps. Now you =
can buff all at once.

Mike Bratcher

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 5:52 PM
  Subject: Restoring gloss to plastic keytops

  I'm trying to clean and polish the plastic keytops on my 1923 5'8" =
Krakauer.  They were replaced some time more than five years ago, and =
have the note name embossed at the tail.

  Following a search of the archives, I've successfully used 0000 steel =
wool to remove stubborn glued-on spots of what seems to be stain or =
varnish.  However, this has completely deglossed the finish.  Doesn't =
look bad, but very different to the rest.  First attempts at buffing =
using the Dremel and a small cotton wheel (3/8") caused only melting of =
the top (fortunately, just at the hidden tail, where I started).  I was =
surprised, because in the archives someone successfully used a 20,000 =
RPM device.

  The Dremel polishing kit came with some red rouge, said to give a =
"high gloss on metals and plastics", but it doesn't.  I've tried buffing =
with a clean cotton wheel on a variable speed power drill, and at least =
it doesn't melt the plastic, but the gloss doesn't come back.

  Suggestions?

  Thanks...

  --Cy Shuster--
  Rochester, MN