Action dynamic model (was Re: Key Leads and Inertia)

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 5 May 2003 01:34:19 -0400

At 8:00 AM -0700 5/3/03, Keith Roberts wrote:
>Theinput to the dynamic models would have to be real pianists until you could
>refine a mechanical finger to duplicate the results from real fingers. What
>came first, the chicken or the egg?

I don't think so. I agree that among pianists there is an infinite
variety of ways in which the pianist can move the key. And a great
many of them could be simulated (for academic purposes) using
calculus. However whatever maneuvering the key may be put to on the
way down, at a certainly point the jack escapes and at that point the
only thing which is important is hammer speed. The pianist's motion
is summarized in the instantaneous velocity at the point of
escapement.

What is important to the music is that the pianist feels that as
though he can getthe action to do what he wants: compliance(?).
That's where we as piano technicians can help by making sure that
three separate forces of friction, gravity and inertia are
individually enough to provide a "back-pressue" for the pianist, but
not so great as to over-power. And then balancing them.

So, no. The product of mass and acceleration is always calculable.
What makes the discussion easier is to standardize the descriptions.
That means with a standard "keystroke".

At 9:54 PM -0400 5/4/03, Classic Touch Ent wrote:
>So what is the purpose of a dynamic action model? to study the
>action? to study pianists? both? Can we start by studying action
>dynamics first?

To study the action. And to keep it simple, with simplified schemes
of motion. Studying the pianist is actually a far more dynamic
endeavor than studying the action. How the action behaves under force
can be modeled theoretically. Studying pianists has to be recorded in
the field, with say, optical motion sensors. If we want to know how
pianists move, we have to measure them multiple times per second.

I gather that for the most part, the behavior is predictable. Any
being predictable, in a way, static. The only thing dynamic about it
is the number of ways a pianist will move it. But regardless of how
the pianist moves the key, its motion will still be predicted by
plugging the real values into the mathematical model.

We have to decide what we want to study, the base-line motion of the
action according to a model, or the actual motion, whipped up bay a
real pianist.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music