Key Leads and Inertia

Mon, 05 May 2003 09:51:57 +0200

Richard Brekne wrote:

> - There is seemingly a conflict between a desire to have as little lead as
> possible as opposed to a desire to place any lead as close to the center pin as
> possible.

Have had a couple hours to look at Stephens PDF link on this subject and see that it
very nicely describes what I was after in the above observation.

http:/real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett/inertia.pdf

Comparing the two first graphs ploting acceleration against force input for three
configurations of keys, shows that though more lead does indeed generally increase
inertia, lead placed closer to the center decreases it. The unbalanced (unleaded ?)
key stick provides a sort of  baseline on which what is refered to as a soff / hard
(play) breakpoint must occur regardless of whether lead is used or not. Soft in this
sense I think more equates with the word "easy" or "light" and hard equates to
"difficult" or "heavy" (correct if wrong Stephen).

Installing lead in general yeilds a less steep acceleration gradient, yet at the
same time the closer to the balance rail pin the lead is installed, the farther out
on this baseline that breakpoint occurs which steepens the gradient.  Essentially
concentration of key mass closer to the center of the key reduces the difference
between a the three configurations, while at the same time expanding the domain of
soft play. In theory, I suppose if you could concentrate enough balancing mass close
enough to the center of the key, the difference between the balanced, partially
balanced, and unbalanced keys would become null, with a nearly exclusively "soft"
play characteristic. Said another way, the farther out on the red line (no balancing
line) the breakpoint is placed, the more alike in terms of what the graph
illustrates the three cases given become.

This would seem to indicate to me, that the placement of lead primarily determines
the location of of the breakpoint and thereby the division between hard and soft
zones, and the amount of lead used detemines the degree of balancing and thereby the
degree of divergence from the no balanced configuration for any given breakpoint. I
hope its ok that I included a low res reproduction of the general case graph for
reference.

And Stephen, if I have misunderstood things please correct as neccessary. Thanks.

RicB

[Image]

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

--------------2CBCAFDB7491FE42016E4FDA
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------2CBCAFDB7491FE42016E4FDA
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmailNP.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 19190 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------2CBCAFDB7491FE42016E4FDA--