Key Weight

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 05 May 2003 09:08:53 -0400

Dear Dave,

You have to take the time to measure up and down weight.  As a very rough
rule of thumb, if there is a difference of more than 30 grams between them
then you've got a friction problem...  If you fix friction and the action
still feels heavy then you've most likely got a weight/leverage problem.
Things like radical reduction in hammer weight or moving the capstan line
in towards the balance rail will solve it but these are not an option
because they are not so reversable...

The only thing I can think of that is reversable is changing the seating of
the key on the balance rail punching to shift the pivot point of the key
thereby bringing the overall action rail down and lightening the dynamic
feel of the action.  It will cost you time in relevelling the keys...  It
may be possible to remove all the balance rail punchings and attach a strip
of veneer, say 3/16" wide, on the balance rail up against the back side of
the balance rail pins.  Then relevel the keys with a thin cloth punching.

The effect is dramatic and reversable.

David Stanwood
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com