piano competition/Mason&Hamlin vs Steinway

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:38:20 -0400

Someone wrote:

<< I have identified the inconsistencies in the widths of black keys between
various brands and am sure that the industry has now acquired a 'standard'

Dave followed up:

<<Following up on this key size thing; I just measured and a typical
Steinway white key is 148 mm from the lip to the fall board.  The
Mason & Hamlin CC I mentioned in an earlier post is just 142 mm from
the lip to the fallboard.  It's amazing that pianists can adapt to
these things as well as they do.  Some -- not all -- notice these
things but they seem to cope with them ok.>>

I'm pretty good at adapting to different actions, but there's one
nonstandard property regarding the sharps that consistently trips me up.  My
hands are rather small, so I don't have the luxury of flexibility in finger
placement that pianists with lankier fingers enjoy.  The sharps with the
stylish beveled ends drive me nuts, because I'm always missing them --
swinging my finger over their phantom tips.  What's the story behind that
design?  Is there any possibility that may become the new standard?  (Gawd,
I hope not.)

Peace,
Sarah