Action dynamic model

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:06:02 -0500

It would be difficult to come up with a complete dynamic model -- one =
that
would predict behavior, given a set of inputs.

However it would be easier, and a necessary first step to the =
development of
the model, to measure this finger pressure during the entire keystroke, =
as
Phil describes below.  Graphed over time, it should show lost motion, =
hammer
movement, escape, and aftertouch.  Add the force of the hammer on the
string, and you've got the complete envelope of the mechanical inputs =
and
outputs of the action (well, save for the dampers).

Car magazines publish graphs of car engine performance; wouldn't it be
useful to have graphs like this for a range of test blows from ppp to =
fff?
They could be used to classify actions into categories like "light" to
"firm", as was suggested.

Piano manufacturers have robotic players to settle the action which =
could be
programmed for a series of test blows, as well as the various player
mechanisms (although the former might better simulate a real finger =
pressing
a key).  Do manufacturers take dynamic measurements as well?

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN