Horowitz piano

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 00:33:15 EDT

Ed Foote writes:
>When Steinway "restored" the "Horowitz piano",  they simply threw away all
>the  hammers and whippens and installed a new action. ...  It gave
absolutely no indication of what it was like when Horowitz was using it!

Bill Ballard replies

> A shameful bait and switch.

Yeah, I drove 50 miles to see it, only to find a nice enough, ordinary model
D. I pulled off the keyslip in the desperate hope that they had the original
action on a shelf somewhere, but no, it was the original frame with new
parts. What a loss. Not because it was wonderful, but perhaps because it was
not. It would have been instructive to compare the extraordinary music
Horowitz was able to make on an instrument which was significantly outside
the norm, mechanically - to connect the influence of the machine with the
music.

Sigh.
Bob D