Unusual rib structure?

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 14:14:37 -0400

Re: Unusual rib structure?Hi Ron,

Thanks for the feedback.  Rib crowned?  Interesting.  What =
characteristics suggest that?  (I know very little about soundboard/rib =
structure.)  I gather that rib crowning is a more recent development in =
piano technology?  Is there some place I could read a brief history?

I measured the ribs for you.  I wasn't perfectly exact in my =
measurements (didn't have the time), but if you want more exact =
measurements, I'll get them for you later.  Aside from the tapered ends, =
the dimensions are constant throughout the length of each rib.  The =
bottom of each rib is rounded slightly   I didn't measure the lengths of =
the tapers.  The height and width of the ribs (in mm) are as follows (in =
order from treble to bass):

rib    h    w
1    difficult access
2    19    19
3    21    21
4    21    23
5    25    24
6    25    25
7    26    26
8    ?    26 (difficult access)
9    28    26
10    28    26
11    28    26
12    27    26
13    27    26
14    26    26
15    26    26
16    26    26
17   difficult access
18   difficult access

You are correct that the bass is rather dark.  Of course I like it that =
way.

Peace,
Sarah
  ----- Original Message -----=20