Unusual rib structure?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 07 May 2003 13:27:30 -0500

>OK, there's something about my piano (1933 Wissner 9') that seems odd (in
>my limited experience), and I've just got to ask.  My soundboard ribs have
>an unusual structure (I think), and I'm uncertain as to the purpose.  Most
>of the ribs are "tied" together with one of two small cross-braces.

Hi Sarah,
This is done where there should be a cutoff bar, but isn't, like the
Steinway B shown here
I understand it, when the soundboard gets too big (as they most all are),
and the ribs too long, the board breaks up into too many competing
vibrational modes and resonances and fights itself. The small bar
connecting rib bottoms stiffens critical areas and helps minimize the
formation of these counterproductive modes. It also stifles some necessary
soundboard movement, so the ribs are thinned where the bar attaches to try
to get back some, but not all of what the bar eliminated. It's a fix of the
fix. The second step level is the regular feathering. Putting in a real
cutoff bar instead would have been a better approach, but would have
lowered the number of square inches of active soundboard area, which
wouldn't have looked good in the brochure. I don't know why they did it in
the tail too.

>Was it a way of bracing the crown, which is quite a lovely one.

Measured where?

Ron N