Horowitz piano

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:54:51 EDT

 antares writes:

<< And I have a theory that we should actually not file hammers at all or
at the most just one time.

Besides, when we file hammers really thoroughly, they weigh less and
give a more shrill tone. There is less 'meat' to stick your needles in
and it won't hold as long as you would expect.
So what am I saying? File as little as possible, with a maximum of one time
per hammer life,
then do a hammer change.
result?
Happy customer, happy tech. >>

Greetings,
   Um, in an ideal world, yes, however, there is one problem with this
approach.  It assumes that the hammers were the optimum size to start with!
I have seen more than a few factory installed hammers that were too large for
the piano and/or the action they were on.  Steinways and some of the '70s
vintage Mason and Hamlins come to mind.  I have weighed hammers on a Steinway
M that were the same weight as a Steinway D, so I would be reluctant to
propose that hammer size is exactly "standard".   Also, it is not uncommon to
find a piano on which the hammers have already been changed, and what was
installed were too large.
    I usually file the concert hammers at the school here once a year for
their normal 4 year lifespan.  They do get brassy in that last year, but that
is the nature of school budgets.  I also have few customers that would be
happy to pay for new hammers every three or four years.......
Regards,
 Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/