Oops... Re: Unusual rib structure?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 18:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Del,
    A real cutoff bar excludes a "dead" area of the
soundboard from absorbing vibrations, converting them
to heat, right? Or, more specifically, the flexion
area between the resonant portion, and the restrained
portion, as per stiffness caused by the case design.
And it supports the more vibratory portions a bit,
too, so they maintain crown longer.
     And you know a whole lot more about pianos than I
do.
     But, from the photos, this does not look like the
builders' intent in this case, to me.  Looks to me
more like they were just trying to get more vibration
spread around into the dead corner. Not define it from
the vibratory portion with a vibratory stop.
     Sort of a different idea, it seems to me.
     Respectfully,
     Thump