Unusual rib structure?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 08 May 2003 07:17:41 -0500

>FWIW - I've noticed on many boards that even when positive crown is
>present, there often will be an inch-or-two wide swath of negative crown
>adjacent to the rim. I guess from the ribs being thin there.

I presume so.

>I wonder what, if any, consequences there may be to this.
>
>Terry Farrell

Probably nothing you can directly correlate to something you can hear,
other than a general deterioration of the board. Which brings up a point
I've wondered about for a long time. Why are ribs most often feathered like
that, regardless of whether the assembly is compression or hybrid
compression/rib crowned? No self respecting structural engineer would
design a controlled deflection load supporting beam that way. Too high
stress concentration on the ends for the section profile. Very non-uniform
stress distribution for something that's supposed to support a substantial
load, perform dependably and last a while.

Ron N