piano competition/Mason&Hamlin vs Steinway

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Thu, 08 May 2003 12:21:39 -0400

What an irony that the groups of 2 and 3 raised (black) keys which
supply the pianist with tactile knowledge of hand position at the
keyboard
also creates this asymmetrical wonder of frustration for those with
fingers> say 15mm wide. Does any manufacturer stagger the width of
their sharps for the sake of uniform 'gap'?
       Funny that (because my fingers fit in the 'gaps') I never
noticed, but I'm certain I'd notice a width variation of 1-2mm in a
sharp only 10mm wide at top surface.

Rich Olmsted