Laminated ribs.

Thu, 08 May 2003 22:30:43 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>> > I wonder if it would be of any value to laminate the
> > ribs themselves, at least with one reinforcing
> > lamination under the area of most pressure?
> >      Has anyone tried this?
> >      Thump
>
> I've been using laminated ribs on and off for something over 20 years now.
> The crown is put into the rib by pressing them in cauls having one of
> several radii.
>
> Del

Hmmm... doesnt that make them rather.... springy in comparison to
machine crowning solid wood ? And what about compression issues, creep
etc relative to solid wood ? I remember seeing a demonstration once
about a kind of rocking chair made by pressing lamininants into a curve.
As long as you whatever stress applied increased the curvature of the
finished lamininats they were very strong, but if you applied stress in
the opposite direction the things split apart like 10 year dried
firewood.

Curious

RicB

--