hammer change - shaping

Thu, 08 May 2003 22:43:02 +0200

Issac, Ed, and others..

Andre' went into this subject in some detail with me while we were
visiting during the Easter holidays. I think as I understand his point
that it is his contention that the voice of the hammer remains basically
intact even through what is often considered rather severe wear. Instead
of a complete reshaping job entailing re-mating hammers to strings, a
complete revamp of the voicing due to more significant changes in hammer
mass and exterior tension, along with all the fine single string voicing
and whatever other tone building processes one finds usefull.....,,
leaving the hammers unshaped allows one to simply touch up the existing
voicing without all the rest of it. And, I think the contention is, with
similar results in quality.

Thinking about this it is not sooooo off the wall. If the origional
shaping and mating was done well, then about the only thing that is
really changed with wear is the surface area that contacts the string.
There was an article not to long ago in the Journal about voicing at the
extremes of the string marks on such hammers.

I dont think we are talking about a flat top that extends 5 mm or
anything, but certainly more wear then is usual to allow for. After the
first reshaping then (by Andre's suggestion) and then waiting until that
same amount of wear and tear again is apparent, roughly the same amount
of time will have passed as what you describe in a University
situation.... 3-4 years. And in both cases by then hammers are ready for
replacement.

Course Andre' will jump in and clarify wherever I have misunderstood
him, but on the surface of it... it seems to make some sense. Or what ?

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.