horowitz piano parts

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:53:24 EDT

John writes:
>A fairly reliable rumor has it that the original parts still exist in
> labeled boxes out of harm's way so they can be put back in someday, if
>that eases anyone's mind at all.

   I haven't heard that rumor.  I can state as fact that when I spoke to
David Grossi, who was head of the restoration dept. at the time the piano was
worked on, I specifically asked him what had become of those parts and he
told me that they had been thrown away.  When I expressed incredulity at this
and asked why, his reply was that the factory looked at parts as either good
parts or bad parts.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/