hammer change - shaping

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 8 May 2003 23:07:13 +0200

Hello Richard,

I am often amazed to see how much of a good tone is obtained while
leaving the strings mark almost intact.
And indeed unless a complete go round is made half solutions does not
seem to gove interesting results. (Particularly because too much
weight is off if complete shaping is done)
That is why I am very interested in seeing the method (and hear the
result) for these fast cap shaping supposedly due at Yamaha France.

I may state I am not impressed with the tone of the conservatory
pianos, they sound like , eh . school pianos (grin)
Too much shaping mean that the outer core is broken, so the work is to
be done agin almost from the start.
I'd say the hammers I've seen where terribly lacking power after they
have been shaped lightly agin an again.

And I measure DW 40 UW 15 for instance in the middle of a Steinway B .
Goes for a very light head probably.

Sometime the felt does not hold enough and shaping the shoulders
modify the global shape to a potatoes.
This is why I wonder if a first good deep and battery needling is not
the good method, and then, a little shaping only to have less large
grooves is due. Nowadays that is the way the S&S techs work on
instruments that are used a lot like in Radio France. They change
hammers every 8 years or so with this method.
The trick is to leave enough reserve and be very cautious to keep
enough basement. ( low shoulder firmness )
But the top may be very tensioned and springy, then the size of the
grooves matter way less, and it is not damping high partials as can be
believed at first.

Any more thoughts ?

Regards and greetings.

Isaac OLEG