piano competition/Mason&Hamlin vs Steinway

James Perkins jimperkins@mac.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 12:27:26 +0800

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 04:47  PM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Not really. It has more to do with the fact that the piano keyboard is
> not
> symmetrical. It is made up of two separate groups of keys: one with
> three
> naturals and two sharps, the other with five naturals and three
> sharps. Get
> a piece of paper and try to lay this out with complete uniformity
> between
> the sharps and you'll see the problem. You either have to fudge on the
> gaps
> or you have to alternate the width of the sharps.
>
> Del

I don't follow this Del,

I agree that the sharps cannot be centred across the naturals- with the
exception of G# which is bang in the middle of G & A.  But having set
the gap for F# to G#, why isn't C#-D# the same width? There's no
logical reason that I can see to prevent it

BTW my  middle finger is closer to 22mm than 15 in width so you see my
interest in this matter!  And I'm sure I'm not alone in noticing this
apparent anomaly.

James Perkins
42 Marlee Road
Parklands